Mechanic's LienSOUTH CAROLINATemplate Updates

SOUTH CAROLINA gets new notices, custom template technology (CTT)

By September 9, 2008No Comments

The summer of 1987 I was at Advanced Radio/Teletype training for the US Army at Fort Gordon, GA. On weekends my fellow trainees scampered as quickly as they could to Myrtle Beach, SC.  While I would have enjoyed going there for the golf and scenery, I did not know a single classmate who played golf to go with. So I got instead a one-hour drive through SOUTH CAROLINA courtesy of the Greyhound bus I rode back to my hometown of Chicago after graduation.  I will return to the state with a bit more money in my pocket than in 1987, sooner than later.

I completed recently the rewriting of thirty-two (32) SOUTH CAROLINA templates for PreLien2Lien. Both General Contractors and Subcontractors have 1st notices that must be posted or sent at the start of a construction project.  SOUTH CAROLINA Code Annotated § 29-5-23 mandates that a Location Notice and Notice Of Project Commencement be posted at a jobsite by the General Contractor.  SOUTH CAROLINA Code Annotated § 29-5-23 also mandates that General/Prime Contractors must record a Notice Of Project Commencement with the clerk of court or register of deeds in the county where the improvment is located.

SOUTH CAROLINA Code Annotated § 29-5-40 mandates that when a General/ Prime Contractor has filed a Notice Of Project Commencement, in order for a Subcontractor to ensure the full amount owed can be collected on a lien for a private project, a Subcontractor must deliver by Certified Mail or personal delivery a Notice Of Furnishing Labor Or Materials to the legal parties (Customer, Owner, General/Prime Contractor, Lender) on the project.

General/Prime/Sub Contractors (Private Projects): SOUTH CAROLINA Code Annotated §29-5-90 mandates that a Notice Of Mechanic’s Lien (General/Prime Contractor) should be filed by a General/Prime/Sub Contractor no later than ninety (90) days after the completion of furnishing equipment, labor, materials or services for an improvement.  It should be recorded with the register of deeds or the clerk in the county where the improved property is located.