Recording a MISSISSIPPI Claim On Lien in Hinds County

By November 19, 2013April 29th, 2020No Comments

Updated 4/29/2020:

Our TRADITION LIEN SERVICE division was approached by a TEXAS based residential roofing company that was owed money on two projects within Hinds County, MS. According to Wikipedia, Hinds County is named for General Thomas Hinds, a hero of the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812.

On private commercial, existing residential and new residential projects MISSISSIPPI Code Annotated § 85-7-403 mandates that a Claim Of Lien can be filed only by the Prime/General Contractor or Subcontractor. It should be recorded with the Chancery Clerk in the county in which the project is located. It must be recorded no later than ninety (90) days after the last day of providing equipment, labor, materials or services for the improvement of a project.

Fees to record or release a lien with the Hinds County Chancery Clerk are 26.00 for the first five (5) pages and $1.00 each additional page of 8-1/2″ x 11″ paper. Make checks payable to: HINDS COUNTY CHANCERY CLERK. Out-of-state business checks are accepted. Include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. A notice must include the street address of the property. It is also helpful to include the Assessor’s Parcel Number (APN). Conforming copies are not accepted or processed.

Actual Recording is fast, just one (1) business day. You can view information on their website the same day a lien is recorded. Original documents are mailed back with one (1) week after recording.

A lawsuit (Payment Action) must be filed within 180 days from the date of the recording of the lien.